1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

zenfolio vs smugmug

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Randy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I was looking at zenfolio and their prices are better
    Anyone switch from SM to zenfolio or have any zenfolio experiences they can share ?

The annual fee is less and their profit is only 12% vs 15% for SM and their 8x10's are $1.99 vs $2.99 for SM

I'm especially interested in how customized you can make your homepage...any fancy examples ? maybe a screen show

thx

2. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Hi Randy,

here's mine http://lindaz.zenfolio.com/

Nothing fancy, but I post my stuff that I upload to forums there, and also my client work, which is hidden. The ride is smooth, simple to use.... my clients loves it. I will not continue using it though, due to the commissions and the 'service' fee baked into each photo sold. Also, I'm not a big fan of Mpix, which Zenfolio is tied to.

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

thx Linda...how was setup ? Smugmug is a nightmare to customize. Of course I wanted alot
    http://www.carolina-sportsphotography.com/

i am very happy with smugmug except for the money part

$150 per yr vs $100 is no big deal but
    15% vs 12% profit and cheaper prints gets my attention...
    I am running a small sports photo business with small margins and something like $1.99 vs $2.99 for an 8x10 gets my attention...i need to do more research

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Psssssst, SM recently lowered 5x7 and 8x10 prices.

:biggrin:

5. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, there are plenty of pre-made templates to use and they're pretty nice. And there's many different choices you can make, with passwords, sizes, download possibilities, making coupons, pricing by % or by adding a certain amount to the base price prints...making your own signatures to upload and use. Yeah, I'd say it's very easy to use over-all. But like I said, on top of that 12%, they also charge some kind of service fee of the prints. Which I haven't really figured out what it means yet. I just know it deducts my revenue. lol

What lab(s) does SmugMug use?

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    yea I just found out (the hard way...after posting on dgrin...andy told me)

7. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Linda
    not sure what lab they use but you only get one choice...
    my customers (parents) have always been happy with the pics and the customer service is awesome but money is money....

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    See above, I also added some info... indeed, even a dollar adds up.

9. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    so maybe their 12% is closer to SM-s 15%
    SM doesn't charge any service fees and they just lowered the price on 2 key sizes for me
    I sell 80% 4x6, 15% 5x7's and 5% 8x10's...rarely any other size...but I sell several thousand pics a year (and I'm having alot of fun)

i think i just talked myself into staying

10. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I took a statistic class twice in college, and passed the second time only because I was cute. But I asked my husband, and he thought it was closer to 18% with the "service" fee....and he's a scientist. lol But neither one of us is sure.

I sell 80% 5x7 and 15% 8x10 and a couple of 11x14 and 8x12 occasionally.

11. EZ Prints. I believe they are in Georgia.

12. ah....
    you knew he would..... :smile:

13. smart move.....

14. Love Zenfolio
    easy to use
    nice templates but no customizing
    a little slow ( well pitifully slow) on offering backprinting as mpix already offers it

the service charge is something fairly new... I dont know why they didnt just increase the price of the pictures

15. Randy, +1 for Zen also.
    A bit of a pain for me to set up.but thats just me. I been there over a year now. I like it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.