Zinnias with the 70-180mm Micro Nikkor lens

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Jul 18, 2005.

1. My Zinnia Experiment was only mildly successful. The 70-180 micro produces beautifully saturated (sometimes oversaturated) images. My saturation issues can also be attributed to not using a polarizer lens. Thankfully, I purchased one after this adventure.

Zinnia Trio images taken two days apart. Notice the development of the zinnia in the lower left corner between June 21st and June 23rd!

1/800s f/8.0 at 105.0mm

1/500s f/8.0 at 122.0mm

Here is a yellow zinnia straight from the 70-180.
    1/1000s f/8.0 at 180.0mm

2. Excellent close-ups Crystall!!!
    Thanks for sharing :)

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Crystall, I'd say that your test was very successful. Did you notice the yellowjacket flying through the frame on the first one?

I'm interested in your comments about the polarizer. I've never thought of using one in this application. Can you post some comparison shots with and without it? Is it a circular polarizer?

Thanks,

4. Hi Frank and Panos,

Thank you for the feedback. I will be using a polarizer with the micro lens during my vacation (Niagara Falls) this week. I will post examples from Niagara
    Falls. 8)

5. Hi Crystall, these shots are very nice but #1 is my fave!

6. Beautiful flowers Crystall.

7. It's the bee right?? :lol:

Back from vacation, hundreds of images to process... :lol:

8. Hi Cindy,

Thank you for the feedback.

Back from vacation, hundreds of images to process! :lol:

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Cristall -

Beautiful images. What was the "experiment" you were doing? Just seeing what your lens could do, or something more complex? As an aside, I happen to like saturated colors in flowers, even if they are more saturated than the originals. Just a matter of varying objectives - I like the flowers to pop out of the image. I started a recent thread called "Dueling Lilies..." that shows the look I like. I would be interested in your reaction.

BTW, your tag line in your signature is wonderful.

Gordon

11. Hi Gordon,

First thank you for the lovely comment regarding my tagline. Digital photography opened the doors of creativity for me. I have only had one catastrophic loss of data in eight years, so I believe in redundantly backing up imagery.

Anyway, I was comparing the 70-200VR and the 70-180 micro nikkor lenses using blooming zinniaas in strong afternoon sun as my subject. Phew! I had wanted to test the 500D and 6T closeup filters or lenses as well, but time was against me since I usually only have 20 minutes during my lunch break to capture images.

The 70-200VR images were okay, nothing great, and the 70-180 images were oversaturated. Unfortunately, this was not a controlled test using the same environment or on the same day. I also did not have a polarizing lens for the 70-180 micro, but did have one for the 70-200VR. Most of my images are strongly saturated as explained by Paul's comments. I am definitely going to try his suggestions on my next floral adventure. Anyway, I really enjoy floral photography, (they never complain) and I plan to post a few hand held lily images taken with the 60mm micro soon.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Crystall, what's with the rotating avatars? Are you trying to emulate Chris?? If so, you only have about 20 to go. :lol: :p 8)

BTW, I like this one, but my favorite was the one of you. It's nice to be able to put a face with the folks that you converse with. :wink:

13. No, actually I just like the composition of it better than the other one. The bee/wasp I hadn't even noticed until someone else mentioned it. Must be my old, tired eyes! :)

Well, get busy....we want more! ;)

14. Frank,

Most of my avatars are teasers of images yet to be posted (including the goose attack. My portrait was the result of a rare moment of pure joy after a radical haircut. Photo taken by my husband. Believe me, it was a very rare opportunity, but he did a great job.

Anyway, I had been trying to find the white and magenta lilies during their blooming season and happened upon them at a rest stop in Northern PA of all places! The Avatar is a teaser of a future post involving a handheld 60mm micro Nikkor lens. :wink:

Kevin,

I am working on more images as I type. I can't believe how well the Maid of the Mist images came out...using the 24-120! :shock: Here is another zinnia from my pBase account:

It appears slightly distorted to me, but it details the emerging zinnia bud in the lower left corner.