Zion Narrows

Last week we hiked up the Zion Narrows. It is always spectacular, although this time it was much harder for me. I hope I am able to go again, someday, but if not I tried to burn the memories into my brain for future enjoyment. I didn't take my Z6 out of the waterproof backpack much, but did manage to get a couple of shots on a tripod. Here is the first one I have edited. Not sure why my reduced versions that I upload here look so soft because the image is very sharp. Maybe I need a tutorial on how to best export for the cafe.

_DSC3508.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wonderful use of foreground detail, scale and depth. The image seems so three-dimensional. I'm told that all photos are only two-dimensional, but this one makes me wonder.

The image looks sharp to me, certainly not anything I would consider soft. When you reduce the image size, view it on your monitor first before uploading to the website. If it's too soft to your taste, sharpen it some more before uploading.

Terri, that shot is beautiful. How far up did you get? Were you wearing waders? Was the water cold??

I'm hoping to sneak out to Zion for a day next month.
We got as far as the Orderville wash. We rented gear from Zion Outfitter. It consisted of neoprene sock, water shoes, waterproof pants, and a hiking stick. The water was very cold but I didn’t get cold. We were also able to rent a waterproof backpack from them as well. We put out gear inside of ziplock bags into the backpack as double protection. I got overalls instead of pants and it had a nick zipper pocket inside of the bib that was perfect for my phone. Greg had on the waterproof pants and they made access of his phone harder. The prices were reasonable...I think it was $41 a person. I also wore a hat and gloves as well as a down jacket into my overalls. Here’s a couple of photos Greg took....one of me hiking that shows my gear and one of our pants and shoes. Sorry they aren’t rotated correctly. Not sure why the cafe doesn’t recognize the orientation.
E72DB5EA-FD9B-4072-AD87-DD030BCB4E93.jpeg
4EFAEA0C-89B8-41E2-835A-4BE1043CF0FA.jpeg

Wonderful use of foreground detail, scale and depth. The image seems so three-dimensional. I'm told that all photos are only two-dimensional, but this one makes me wonder.

The image looks sharp to me, certainly not anything I would consider soft. When you reduce the image size, view it on your monitor first before uploading to the website. If it's too soft to your taste, sharpen it some more before uploading.
Thanks, Mike, I’m so glad you could experience the depth in the photo. That was the goal!

Latest threads

Top Bottom