Zion National Park II: Hike to Angels Landing.

On our second day in Zion NP, my wife and I decided to brave the infamous hike to Angels Landing. This is a 1200-foot climb to a point with a spectacular view up and down the Zion Valley. A number of people have fallen to their death on this hike, as there are exposed areas with very long drops to either side. However, the dangerous part is near the end of the hike and there is always the option to turn back. So we set out.

#1 Beginning the hike on a gentle paved trail

JRT8410sm.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 After several minutes of ever steeper climbing, you get very nice views of the valley and the Virgin River

JRT8472sm.jpg

JRT8468sm.jpg

#4 A look down reveals what you have just traversed...

JRT8464sm.jpg

#5 After sweating in the sun, it's nice to enter the cool, shaded, "refrigerator canyon":

JRT8417sm.jpg

JRT8422sm.jpg

#7 You then face a series of 21 switchbacks called "Walter's Wiggles", after the first Park superintendent who designed this route (photo by Mrs. T.):

DSC5554sm.jpg

#8 This brings you to Scout's Lookout, a level, open area where we paused for lunch.

JRT8432sm.jpg

#9 From there, the trail gets quite challenging (and scary) (photo by Mrs. T.):

DSC5621sm.jpg

#10 If you brave this, you reach a spectacular viewpoint.

JRT8440sm.jpg

JRT8449sm.jpg

#12 But then you see the last half mile:

JRT8434sm.jpg

That last section is where most of the fatal falls have occurred. By the time we got to that point the wind was gusting at 30-40 mph, so we hadn't the courage to continue. But we had a great time nonetheless, and got spectacular views of the park.

If you are interested in doing this hike, I suggest you watch this video before attempting that last half mile.

There You Go Again!

Once again, some fantastic imagery that is making me jealous, Jim! :biggrin:

You must be in pretty darn good shape to have made that climb - even if you skipped that last section. What was the temperature during your climb? When we were in Zion (mid-September 1996), it was pretty darn hot! So, we never even considered doing this hike!

If you are interested in doing this hike, I suggest you watch this video before attempting that last half mile.

OMG!! Just watched the videos and there is no way that I'd be able to do that! Especially in that wind! I can't imagine doing it while recording a video either -- That guy has guts!

I'd need multiple changes of underwear! :eek:

Spectacular photos, Jim! Yes, that last part looks very scary indeed...

Thanks for posting these.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. After watching the videos I linked to, I'm very glad we didn't try to go farther.

Once again, some fantastic imagery that is making me jealous, Jim! :biggrin:

You must be in pretty darn good shape to have made that climb - even if you skipped that last section. What was the temperature during your climb? When we were in Zion (mid-September 1996), it was pretty darn hot! So, we never even considered doing this hike!

Thanks, Bert. I guess the temperature was upper 70s or low 80s. The sun was quite hot, but the breeze helped, especially with the low humidity. I'm sure it would be worse in September.

After 67 and 69 birthdays, resp., my wife and I are quite fortunate with our health.

great photos that tell/show your hike story well! This is something else I'll have to put on my bucket list!
thanks for sharing!

great photos that tell/show your hike story well! This is something else I'll have to put on my bucket list!
thanks for sharing!

Thanks. Be sure to take your hiking shoes.

Wowww - amazing, Jim; simply amazing. And please tell Mrs. T. that her images are just as wonderful as yours!!!

Thanks, Lyndee. I'll be sure to tell her. By the way, that's her in #5 and #10.
(I also make a small appearance in one photo. Guess which.)

Jim,

Enjoyed the photos and the story. I'm not too afraid of heights but I'm not sure I could do that last section. That is way exposed!

Nice photos. My husband and I did this hike - or at least the first part last year. He got vertigo so bad on the first part he had to stop and wait for me as I continued on. I only got part way through the 'refrigerator' before turning back as I didn't know how much further it was to the end and didn't have any way of letting him know how long I'd be.

I hope to go back and try it again this September. Zion's is a favorite for sure!

Jim,

Enjoyed the photos and the story. I'm not too afraid of heights but I'm not sure I could do that last section. That is way exposed!

Thanks, Mike. Indeed it is exposed!

Excellent photos!!! I wish i was there.

Thanks, Sang. I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Nice photos. My husband and I did this hike - or at least the first part last year. He got vertigo so bad on the first part he had to stop and wait for me as I continued on. I only got part way through the 'refrigerator' before turning back as I didn't know how much further it was to the end and didn't have any way of letting him know how long I'd be.

I hope to go back and try it again this September. Zion's is a favorite for sure!

Thanks, Karma. Be sure you watch the video I linked to before you attempt that last section!

Jim, great set! Looks very nice to hike this, except that last end! If my son sees this, he'll want to go at once!

Thanks, Rob. I hope your son exercises some common sense if he does it :biggrin:.

Very nice shots! Brings back good memories. I also did it to the landing, and skipped the last part.

Thanks, Alex. Good judgement. :wink:

Real Name
Paul
Great photos, but after seeing the videos of the last part... I would have stopped where you did too. YIKES!

I so love your travelogues! This one is spectacular. I've heard about Angel's Landing, especially while training to hike Half Dome in Yosemite last year. People always want to share something "even scarier" when you tell them you're going up Half Dome. I'd say for scare factor, they're about the same, only on Half Dome you're climbing with 300 of your closest pals - some of which are having panic attacks.

The portion you hiked gave you breathtaking views, and a very good day's workout, so not getting to the summit is no big deal. You got close enough to take these great photos!

Wow..remarkable...

Thanks, Linda.

Great photos, but after seeing the videos of the last part... I would have stopped where you did too. YIKES!

Thanks, Paul. Good that you looked at the videos.

I so love your travelogues! This one is spectacular. I've heard about Angel's Landing, especially while training to hike Half Dome in Yosemite last year. People always want to share something "even scarier" when you tell them you're going up Half Dome. I'd say for scare factor, they're about the same, only on Half Dome you're climbing with 300 of your closest pals - some of which are having panic attacks.

The portion you hiked gave you breathtaking views, and a very good day's workout, so not getting to the summit is no big deal. You got close enough to take these great photos!

Thanks, Mary. As you can see, I enjoy posting these.

So did you enjoy Half Dome? If you did, you should do this one too.

There are also quite a few hikers at Angel's Landing, as you can see. And I have read of panic attacks there.

That's a fantastic hike, isn't it! The last time we were in Zion we had to forego it b/c our kids were too little... Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom