zonealarm type firewall for the mac?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by stayathomedad, Aug 18, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I'm setting up a mac for a PC user making the switch...

She is use to zonealarm and wants something similar on her macbook pro...

Any freeware out there you would recommend?

2. dwind

dwind Guest

No, I've never and nobody else I know has used any firewalls or antivirus other than the one that comes standard in a wireless router.

3. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    There is one built in

OS X has one built in. Coming from the PC world it is kind of in a non-intuitive place. You go to System preferences --> Sharing --> Firewall. It does not give the pop up messages anytime it blocks something (thankfully) . It operates on the unix principal of no news is good news. It is very easy to use works well and stays out of your way.

Hope this helps

4. If Symantec makes one.....don't buy it!

5. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Amen to that.....avoid Norton like the plague. I do not have an anti virus program running on my Mac Pro.

Instead of a software firewall, I would suggest a hardware one like Sonicwall.....my two cents.

6. Ugh -- my frustration with ZoneAlarm is one of the reasons I jumped from Windows to a Mac. My daily computing experience now is ever so much more pleasant!

No software add-ins here for firewall or virus protection. I do have the OS built-in firewall enabled, though, and my router provides NAT protection as well.

7. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Hummm That's pretty cool Larry. Good find. I'll go play with that one this evening.

As for ZoneAlarm, it's early releases were quite good. Their later versions were awful and I pulled all of them out. At least those uninstalled with our major surgery like Norton.

All my PC's now have the full AVG bundle and operate quite well......

8. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I got her to just use the built in firewall...

9. Exactly my experience. It got more and more complicated. It looks as if some engineers attempted to fix the interface by categorize things into something that was logical to them. However as it got more and more sophisticated a different user interface became necessary. perhaps hierarchical with drill down capabilities based on user experience/interest. In any case when I stopped using it, it was colorful but very confusing and difficult to follow.

10. Little Snitch has been around a long time and many users swear by it. I have never used it as I am pretty selective in my surfing. Hope it works well for you GBR.

11. IF you need a firewall for a Mac this is the one to go for - DoorStop X - by Open Door Networks LINK http://www.opendoor.com/

They wrote the book on Mac Security and I would recommend them to anyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.