ZOO: Gorilla

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Mike Buckley, Aug 31, 2008.

1. I don't do much animal photography. If I get many more pictures like this one, I might change my mind about that.

180mm, f/2.8 at 1/180s, ISO 250, edited in NX2

2. This is a very cool capture. Love the expression.

3. Mike...
    an excellent portrait
    and i hope that this WILL spur you on to pursuing more animal photography

i like this one, a lot

4. Very nice expression. Not sure I like the PP though.

5. Thanks for the comment, Alex. What don't you like about it?

6. gregDT

gregDT

Apr 27, 2008
    London UK
    Madness :wink: Shooting animals (with a camera) is a joy. One key reason is that you really start 'looking' at animals in a new way. I see so many visitors wandering past an enclosure saying "Hmmm a zebra, great. Now where are the elephants?" When you spend time with each animal you start to see more than just the creature. You watch them interact with each other. See how they move, behave, what they do, stuff they repeat. And while they are not doing capture worthy stuff you can spend time actually reading some of the information boards and learning stuff too.:smile: This arms you with more knowledge for the next visit when you will be able to better predict when your subject will be out and about and how better to get the great shot.
    Yesterday I went to A local Wldlife Park, was there between 10am and 6pm, walked eight 1/2 miles and took 509 photographs. Apart from a coffee and a sandwich I didn't stop all day. Joyous

Your pic is wonderful. Surely the result is enough to justify the trip.

7. I love trying to shoot gorillas. There's a lot to like in this photo, but I think the catchlights in his eyes look unnatural.

Alan

8. Nice image Mike. So difficult in our zoos to get natural-looking light on these big guys because they're always through glass. I like the shot.

9. Alan, I was wondering about that, too. I'm not used to observing the details of a gorilla's eyes to know if it reflects the catchlight differently than people and other animals. I wonder if the so-called catchlight isn't mostly a reflection of the light wall that was between me and the animal.

My post processing involved absolutely nothing that is specific to the eyes. My entire post processing (all done in Capture NX2) consisted of adjusting the levels in the LCH Editor, adding an ever so slight curve, decreasing the saturation in the background foliage, smoothing out the background with noise reduction, using two control points to tone down the hot spots on the nose and left shoulder, and applying USM (40/5/4) but only to the gorilla after having begun with sharpening set at zero.

Mike, there was no glass between me and the gorilla.

10. I don't think that gorillas' eyes are very different from ours, except that their 'whites' are dark. At the risk of sounding conceited, I think the eyes in my most recent gorilla shots are just right https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=185426. These were shot over a moat, so I had no problems - I can understand how reflections from a light-coloured wall could cause problems, as these reflections bounce back from from the whole eye surface, rather than a typical catchlight from a point source of light.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. That's helpful, Alan.

By the way, I took some informal portraits of school children at a bus stop. Due to limited space and the spontaneity of the situation, the busses were behind me. They were white. The pictures of the girls are so sharp that it's easy to see the reflection of the white busses in their eyes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.