ZOO : SF Zoo, the usual suspects

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Phil K, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Very nice set. Never seen that weird chicken before :smile:

2. Great set of images Phil. Composed, without that obvious "zoo look" - well done!

3. Great images, Phil!

I have not seen that weird-looking bird (rooster?) at that zoo. The gorillas are my favorite exhibit at that zoo, even though the light is really challenging there.

I really like the tiger cubs image. I have just awful shots of them: yours is very clear and well done. The mandrill is very cool too! All well done.

4. You really show off the lens Phil, these are lovely! I really like the gorilla's expression. Looks like you told a funny joke. :smile:

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Great work, Phil. I shot at the SF Zoo a month ago, and recognize each of these critters. Your capture of the tigers is the most impressive to me. The new glass in the tiger area really kills contrast. Your images of the tigers are remarkable!

6. These are all top-class, but the tiger shots are wonderful!

Alan

7. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks

grew up in SF, lived at Fulton and Arguello during high school. Wifie and me are Zoo people (no snickers please) and really enjoyed your shots. We keep talking about driving down to SF to revisit the zoo, but people we know there say the traffic is horrible from the bay bridge on.

On my monitor the tigers look like they could use just a trifle more contrast, but that is obviously relative to how each is calibrated. Everything else looks fantastic!

Again, THANKS for sharing!!!

8. Thank you Alex. It's also my first time to see that weird chicken.

Thank you Frits. The setting in the zoo was quite nice and we could get some angles that looked more 'natural'.

Thank you Philippe. The chicken/rooster was in the children's zoo/family farm region. The tigers were captured during feeding time and was shot through the wire instead of the glass.

Thank you gretchen. The gorillas are the stars of the zoo and are very popular.

Thank you John. As mentioned above, the tigers were captured during feeding time. Apart from the glass, they can be seen and shot through the wire and I think it's the better spot to take photos.

Thank you very much Alan. There were quite a crowd watching the tigers and I was lucky to find a spot to get some shots.

Thank you Ed. I looked again and you're right about the contrast.

9. Phil,
    these are really terrific shots
    that 80-400VR is magic in your hands

thanks for sharing these with us

10. Nice series. Shots 3 and 8 really stand out for me. Well done.

11. Very nice series Phil.....#3, 6, 8 are my favorites.

12. Phil, these are outstanding zoo shots. Love the lighting and the poses you were able to capture. Well done.

13. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    wow....number 8 is INTENSE

14. Thank you Greg. The 80-400VR is very useful, especially when I do not want to carry the 200-400. We need to stop down it a bit, but with the D3 we can increase the ISO to compensate.

Thank you very much Rich.

Thank you Peter. I also like the tiger shot.

Thank you Gordon. It's a weekday and there were not too many people, making photography a bit easier.

Thank you Leighton. I was lucky to capture that.

15. ItzAlbert

ItzAlbert

Sep 13, 2008
    Bay Area
    very nice shots of the animals. i like the tiger one the most

16. thank you very much. :smile:

17. The 80-400VR is my only zoo lens. I find it works well at f/7.1 and f/8 but it is soft at f/6.3. Of course the light is more challenging on my D80 than on a D300!

18. love the tiger with its mouth open

19. Beautiful series, Phil.
    It's fun to see you enjoying your holiday once again.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera