Zoom lust....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cwilt, Jun 13, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    After spending a weekend with the 24-120 VR I have decided to make 2 kits. One with primes and one with zooms. My prime kit is complete and will be used in low light or when I have time to setup and shoot properly. For the zoom kit I was thinking....

12-24
    24-120 VR
    28-70 f2.8
    70-200 VR

I don't do much wide angle stuff but I did run into a situation where is was needed.

Opinions on this kit?

2. Yes just one. When I can I borrow it? :D

That is very close to my vision of what I would like to have as far as zooms.

I am getting the 24-120 VR (on it's way). And then I hope to save for the 70-200 VR and eventually the 12-24 or something similar. And then hopefully a couple nice primes.

3. I'm not sure where the 24-120 fits in that lineup. Once you put the 28-70 on your camera, you're not going to be able to take it off.

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I like the range of the 24-120, and the VR comes in handy, as a walk-around lens. The beast, as you call it, would come out for special occasions.

5. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Cant argue with the list - I do not have a single one of them, but would happily take any of them. I have the 35-70 and the 80-200 for quality zooms with the Sigma 15-30 for wide end. All old, but all great performers. Have fun putting the collection together.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    24-120 VR VR VR is a wonderful lens.

70-200 VR VR VR is a wonderful lens. Getting mine on thurs.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Charles,

What is the F-stop for the 12-24mm? F/2.8? I guess I don't understand the necessity for the 12-24mm and the 24-120mm VR if you have a 28-70 f/2.8 "Beast" unless you are shooting alot of really wide angle stuff. Is the 24-120mm VR the walk-around lens? The bottom line here...nice complement of lenses.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I may skip the wide and just stitch a few shots together as I have in the past. The 24-120 VR would be the walk around lens. The VR is nice with the D2x because it shows any camera shake. I am finding that a shutter speed of 2 times the focal length is not fast enough for me to hand hold and get sharp images like the D70. It may take a shutter speed of 3 times the focal length to get the sharpness I am looking for. At this point I don't know if its my nerves or if the D2x is just that sesitive. :)

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The 24-120 was my walk-around until Uncle Frank aroused my LLD, then I was overcome with a burning need for "The Beast". The 24-120 is an absolutely fine lens and the only true reason what I am selling it is to maintain all 2.8 glass because I shoot alot of sports and I need to keep shutter speeds as fast as I can. I suppose that one day I might find the necessity to buy something wider than the 28-70mm but first, I need an 85mm f/1.4. The LLD keeps rearing it's ugly head. :cry:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.