Zoom zoom zoom...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Here's a set of pictures from the Tamron 18-200, showing its amazing range. My apologies for the mundane scene, but there weren't a lot of choices in front of the camera store. Unedited... just downsized.

18mm

32mm

52mm

85mm

200mm

No lust, but it is a pretty trick little package.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi frank-

did you go shopping at keeble & shuchat? :)

amazing range with that lens, what aperture(s)?

ricky

3. I note that both Tamron and Sigma have 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 lenses for Nikons at the same price.

Would they be of the same quality?

I note that the Sigma is slightly smaller and lighter than the Tamron.

I'm new to this game - does one brand have a higher-quality reputation?

4. Hi, Ricky! Good call. I was right in front of Keeble & Suchat.

I was working at max aperture throughout the range, so the 18mm shot was at f/3.5, and the 200mm shot was at f/6.3.

5. Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina are all highly regarded aftermarket lens manufacturers, Pa. I haven't seen a specific comparison of the Sigma and Tamron 18-200 offerings, but I'd imagine they're very similar in quality. Heck, they might even be the same lens with different packaging.

A fellow on DPR offered me some examples from the Sigma.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=13830242

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi frank-

in the mid-90's i used to take caltrain from work in sj and would stop at the california street station to visit lee's comics. k&s was always closed by then, so i could only look in through the windows. oddly enough, august or so of last year was the first time i stepped in the store (lost my eyecup and luckily they had one in stock).

that's not bad for the maximum aperture. used to be that zooms with such wide ranges were always marginal in performance, but times have changed. i've been thinking of a travel lens (it's tough bringing a 17-35mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 when you travel)....ugh, lens lust again 8)

ricky

7. Sorry, Ricky, but I don't think an 18-200 will work for you. You're too spoiled by the quality of the lenses in your kit. Maybe you should re-direct your LLD to a 35-70/2.8 to round out your kit, and just leave the 300/4 at home when you travel.

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi frank-

you've nailed the problem on the head :) as much as i'd like to carry less and lighter glass, that means sacrificing some quality, and i haven't been able to convince myself to go that way....yet. but if i keep seeing photos like the ones youv'e posted, i think i can be swayed to add another lens to the list :twisted:

sometimes i think photography complicates my vacations! gotta bring all the stuff even on a weekend trip.

ricky

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,
    I really want to see your images taken with the 18-200Tamron..I have that lens too. But it says 'Missing Image File' when I try to get them.. What does that mean?

Thanks, Gaye

10. It means I'll took them down from my pbase gallery, Gaye. They'd been up for a while, and I thought the thread was dead. Sorry, but they weren't representative samples... just some snaps I took to show the zoom range.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. BTW

Frank, did you find the picture quality decent for the price?

I played with this lens today and noticed severe CA when shoot at 200mm.

Finally I returned it and tested a Sigma 18-125 (18-200 was out of stock)

build quality was, in my opinion much better, as well as pictures sharpness, CA looked better to me too.

Maybe it was only a bad sample of the Tamron?

13. I can't draw any conclusions from the snaps I took, Michael, except that the lens has amazing range.

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Michael,

I plan to use the lens on my D2X today at a car show in our little village but can only use it if the sun shines.

I will post the pictures if I get anything good.

Best to you,
    Gaye