car racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrdinh, Apr 13, 2005.

1. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    I have a chance to go shoot this. I never done this type of work. Any one have any advice? I assume speed and reach of lense is a key? My longest glass is 70-200. Is that enough?

thanks

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Don't forget to slow the shutter down and pan to
    blur tire rotation and background to really give
    your pictures the feeling of speed.

3. I think the 70-200 is too short. Get a 300, like a 300 f/4 or something used. I've also seen great racing shots with the Bigma 50-500. I presume your shooting daylight, this lens should be all you need!

4. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    i never pan before...what shutter speeds should i use?..i think the races are mostly in the evenings...

5. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Shutter speed depends on the speed of the cars. (Don't you just love non-answers). Slower the cars => slower the shutter => better the motion blur. Essentially, try and get as slow as you can while keeping the car nice and sharp.

I don't have any experience shooting cars in the evenings. What sort of car racing is it? Short track/quarter mile ovals/sprint cars or longer tracks?

If it's short track stuff then your 70-200 may be enough, although 300mm f/2.8 would be ideal (not that I have one, but one day, one dayyy). The 300 would be great for just about any motorsport.

Hope that helps a little.

Neil

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    VR, by the way, is great for panning! The 70-200 has a setting you need to attend to that makes the lens allow swept side to side motion, while stabilizing up and down motion, so you can pan for a lot longer than without VR. I don't have the same lens you do, but at 120mm I can pan for a good fraction of a second and keep the subject still with the 'baby VR'. This one's at a tenth:

[​IMG]

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Errr, Chris. I'll take them both (just don't tell Janie.... :D )

Lovely, uh, shot. 8)

Frank

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;