car racing

I have a chance to go shoot this. I never done this type of work. Any one have any advice? I assume speed and reach of lense is a key? My longest glass is 70-200. Is that enough?

thanks

I think the 70-200 is too short. Get a 300, like a 300 f/4 or something used. I've also seen great racing shots with the Bigma 50-500. I presume your shooting daylight, this lens should be all you need!

Shutter speed depends on the speed of the cars. (Don't you just love non-answers). Slower the cars => slower the shutter => better the motion blur. Essentially, try and get as slow as you can while keeping the car nice and sharp.

I don't have any experience shooting cars in the evenings. What sort of car racing is it? Short track/quarter mile ovals/sprint cars or longer tracks?

If it's short track stuff then your 70-200 may be enough, although 300mm f/2.8 would be ideal (not that I have one, but one day, one dayyy). The 300 would be great for just about any motorsport.

Hope that helps a little.

Neil

Real Name
Chris
VR, by the way, is great for panning! The 70-200 has a setting you need to attend to that makes the lens allow swept side to side motion, while stabilizing up and down motion, so you can pan for a lot longer than without VR. I don't have the same lens you do, but at 120mm I can pan for a good fraction of a second and keep the subject still with the 'baby VR'. This one's at a tenth:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Errr, Chris. I'll take them both (just don't tell Janie.... :D )

Lovely, uh, shot. 8)

Frank

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom