1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Opinions Please (With Corrected B/W)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hangin tree, Mar 24, 2007.

1. EagleB_W.

View attachment 86876

I would like your Opinion on this. Please be honest.

I'm not partial either way.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  2. Well, you asked for it! I love eagles no matter how you photograph them BUT, I like color when it comes to wildlife. To me, black and white wildlife looks "dead" to me. I'm not good at the technical parts of it - but by looking, I liked the way the tones and shadows show up. Then the different shades of grays, white, and black. Sorry I don't know how to say it any better or more tactful. I really don't like saying anything negative about anyone's photos! Sorry! :redface:

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I like the BW better. It has more perceived contrast and a tougher feel to it. Definitely more gritty in a way that works very well. There is a halo from what I guess is sharpening on the top of the head however.

4. Thanks Dianne

I'm looking for opinions and I Appreciate yours.

Watch the thread and see how it turns out.

Thanks Chris

Yes, it could be from sharpening as I sharpened as usual after reducing the size.

5. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    This one is interesting since I normally like wildlife shots in color. In this case, the black and white is more striking.

6. For me, I prefer birds in colour. I prefer flowers in colour, unless it's in an artistic presentation. I love the depth of browns in an eagle's body...

7. Thanks Chris

I'm struggling with the same thing

Thanks Sandi

It is interesting to see others opinion and it really points out that it is really in the eye of the beholder.

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
  9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Like the color
    The b/w has also sharpening halos.. (showing on net image)
    Like Sandi, like flowers in color to

Artistic and scketches look nice b/w

10. Thanks Wade

I had not seen your photos they are super.

Thanks Gale

Yes the i use sharpening after reducing to 800 pixels

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Did You Use Heavy NR On this?

A) In this case, I find the BW more striking as it sort of negates the blown highlights on some of the whites IMHO.

B) The entire image, including the perch looks sorta soft...not like it was OOF, but rather as if it had lots of NR applied to it....or you intentionally blurred it?

12. Thanks Jim

Yes I ran noise reduction (Neat Image) for a smoothing effect. I may have overdone it. The Blown highlights would not come back another reason for the B/W conversion. I appreciate your comments "Good Eye"

13. Ahh I feel better. I am working on a new monitor and don't yet trust my calibration. The whites are blown down around where his neck meets the browns feathers. I had not seen anyone mention it and was wondering if it were my monitor.

Now for comments, I like the B&W better in this case. Better recovery of whites, but also a more statley photo. Also it is nice to see something different for a change. Not too many black and white wildlife shots around anymore.

14. Thank Matt

The shot was taken some time back and I had not reset exposure from evening before shoot. (Dummie Me) I kind of liked the regal look of the bird and just was playing with B/W as the Blown out area was not quite a noticable.

Good Eye and thanks

15. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    I agree big time. Halos are severe, and the whites in the B/W look like they're more burned than the color version. I would have liked the B/W version better if not for these artefacts.

16. Thanks JC

Looks like the B/W is winning

17. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    I like the BW most. it's not a >"real" nature shot but more like a statue.. I really like it.

18. Thank You All.

I tried to clean up from the orginal and here is new B/W.

EagleB_W.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.