The focusing thing comes to an end

So I finally came to some resolution over the focusing issues I was having.

I won't bore y'all with too many details, but the end result was basically that I swapped the 17-55 DX for a 28-70. At the end of the day, this lens was the problem that was biting me in actual use shots.

I was able to convince myself the camera was a problem beyond that.

I would say the only thing Nikon could have done better would have been to let me know what was up as it went along. The last replacement they sent me had been tweaked to utter perfection before they sent it to me. This explains why it arrived with ~60 shots already taken. Had I known that I would have ended up leaning on that lens a lot sooner.

They were extraordinarily kind and helpful to me, and have earned my loyalty three times over.

In conclusion I would say that different lenses simply behave differently when it comes to focus. We were able to readily prove, for example, that the 17-55 and 28-70 place the DOF in different spots at the same focal length, focus and aperture, regardless of the camera. The effect was more subtle on my other Nikons so it never attracted my attention. I do not know if this a matter of optical design or electronics. I tend to think it may be the former.

I am a new fan of the 28-70. I don't agree that it is less sharp wide open. If anything I would say this one is more sharp than the 17-55 I had.

Haven't had time to do any serious shooting yet. But here is a silly 20 month old. Shot as large/fine. No processing other than a crop. In camera sharpening was turned up high. Must have left it at that before I sent it in.

gabriel-couch.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sharp ??? Why he just reached out of my screen and took my cookie.

Excellent. Not silly at all.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
great news and cool kid even if he is silly. :^)
I have not had the same concerns with my 17-55 but will surely watch closely now.

Thanks. Yes, Nikon impressed me beyon any expectations. And they took my concerns very seriously. I never felt that they were dismissing what I had to day.

Got in a little more time with the camera this evening. And since Gabriel was featured above, here is another I took just now. This time with clothes! It is a little over processed because I wanted a particular look when I printed it.

gabriel-coveralls-2-rsz.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SRA

Beezle,

I had a similiar experience with my lenses. Once I got the 28-70 my D2x was able to show its true colors (pun). A great lens meant for a great camera.

I agree about the 28-70 and D2X combo. I took a bunch of images with this lens this past week on a trip to Sydney. All were very sharp and put to rest any lingering doubts I may have had about the D2X's focus. I continue to have a few issues with the 70-200 VR, as I find I definitely need higher shutter speeds than I do with the D70 to get pin sharp images.

Latest threads

Top Bottom