Again with the focusing

I wish I was happier with mine. I was very happy that they replaced it, which is why I just tried to ignore the results I was getting and appreciate their gesture.

What I am worried about if anything is I have yet to hear of anyone having a D2X adjusted successfully. Replacements yes, adjusted, no. Hrmph.

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
Beezle,

Listen, you paid a ton of money for this thing and you deserve to get what you paid for. Send the thing back along with a letter telling them exactly what the problem is and how dissapointed you are with the camera and the service.

DEMAND that they give you what you paid for and DOF be hanged, your camera is defective and should be fixed.

In fact, you are the only person I've heard of who didn't have your camera fixed.

You gotta' learn how to stand up for your rights as a consumer.

Woody

Beezle said:
I wish I was happier with mine. I was very happy that they replaced it, which is why I just tried to ignore the results I was getting and appreciate their gesture.

What I am worried about if anything is I have yet to hear of anyone having a D2X adjusted successfully. Replacements yes, adjusted, no. Hrmph.
There have been quite a few folk on Nikonians that have had their cameras satisfactorily repaired.

Well, they will get the chance to fix it. I sent it off this afternoon.

I think it might be a conspiracy on the part of my D70. It knows it will get used a lot more with its bigger sibling out of the house.

Mines back focusing so I sent it off for a second time this week. I hope they will just replace it with a good one.

N

nfoto

Set custom function "a4" to "OFF". That reportedly solved a lot of the focusing issues people seem to have with their D2X. I have used 5-6 different D2X by now and all of them have perfected perfectly, so I don't believe most of these cameras are to blame.

Do remember that the camera is FAST and might continue to do its focusing wizardry in the interrim while you press the shutter release, unless the wizard trickery is switched off.

There are also some "closest subject" settings that might need to be altered (I vaguely recall I turned all that stuff off when I set up my cameras many moons ago).

The only "closest subject" setting I know of has to do with group dynamic focusing. I have only rarely used that. I figured on waiting to see what Thom has to say about it in his guide before trying to use it.

I would agree that it can be difficult to determine if the camera is the problem or the photographer. This is why I tried like heck to make the 2nd camera work. And didn't give up and return it to them until I was convinced the camera was misbehaving.

I assume Nikon has some method of bench testing these cameras. They have not once informed me that a returned camera works within spec, etc. They just kept replacing the camera.

Why is that?

WHile I'm open to the possibility that the back / front focus problems I'm having are caused by me, the reason I'm thinking it's the camera is that it only happens on certain lens. I use the same technique each time.

I should be able to select any focus point and expect sharp focus. With my camera as is, that only happens 100% with the center sensor. With the others, all bets are off. I can see the front/back focus in the viewfinder as well as in the images. It's a simple test to focus on something, snap a pic, and then zoom in on the LCD. Depending on the sensor, the focus is obviously in back of or in front of the focus rectical.

Ruffles said:
WHile I'm open to the possibility that the back / front focus problems I'm having are caused by me, the reason I'm thinking it's the camera is that it only happens on certain lens. I use the same technique each time.

I should be able to select any focus point and expect sharp focus. With my camera as is, that only happens 100% with the center sensor. With the others, all bets are off. I can see the front/back focus in the viewfinder as well as in the images. It's a simple test to focus on something, snap a pic, and then zoom in on the LCD. Depending on the sensor, the focus is obviously in back of or in front of the focus rectical.

I had the same problem and thought it was just my technique after thee months of use. Sent the 2X in last week (Melville). Got an email from tech today, they are replacing major parts (not certain which). I'll keep you posted.

I called and got the service tag so I could look up status of my camera...

service-status.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When I called them on the phone, they claimed that since it was a re-repair, it would get "preferred" treatment. I tried to speak to the tech working on it but they refused saying it would just slow them down.

Anyone know what "To GWO" means? That wasn't listed the first time it was in.

GWO usually means "good working order" but not sure in ref to Nikontech. BTW..posting your work order and your last name might not have been a good idea. Might want to delete..............

Well nuts! According to Nikon, they still don't think anything is wrong. This time, they cleaned the mirror box and it's already on it's way back. I tried to talk to someone but they want me to wait until Monday when I get the camera and see if I'm still having focus issues. If so, I'm supposed to call back and try to speak to someone named "Hedy". I keep my fingers crossed but I don't have much faith.

If it still doesn't work, I think I may go buy another D2x and D2hs so I can do some controlled testing and compare them to mine...and then return them. When I try to shoot a few test pics at the camera stores, I don't have a controled enviroment and I'm always rushed. Cameras West has a 2 week return policy so I could spend a couple of days and compare all the cameras and see if it's just me or a problem with my D2x.

What tests did you do earlier?

So I was wrong about the replacement I just received from Nikon. It does more or less the same as the last one. I wasted more time doing some tests tonight and with the three lenses I tried, focus is consistently 1/5 back to 4/5 front, with a few f1.4 shots with the 85mm landing the DOF completely forward of the target. By about 50mm at a shooting distance of about 1.5 meters.

Personally? I think I've had it with Nikon. It isn't an emotional thing, just what I'd rather be doing with my photographic time thing. You know, taking photos, not trying to figure out why the camera won't cooperate.

Now I'm worried. My 2X is still in the shop from 7/11. I checked the service page and it's listed as a "moderate repair: malor parts replaced". If it's returned with the same focus problem then I'll replace it with a 1X. Should have learned my lesson after the 2H purchase, it wasn't ready for market either.

After the first trip back the only difference I could see was a stained LCD cover and dust in the view finder. I re-sent it back a couple of weeks ago and it's still at Melville, B2 repair to GWO focus. I called to question the GWO,it means good working order. I called tech support to asked for a replacement, because I need the camera by the weekend.

The tech support people from the west coast service center are more knowledgeable,polite and courteous.I even had their service foreman act as a go between with the people at Melville.

I just got a message from Melville service manager, informing me that a replacement would not do me any good.

I called tech support and asked them to explain the message I got from Melville, NY and they said they would look into it.

That was yesterday and the only change I see anywhere is the estimate status has been changed to bill.

Don't get discouraged guys, there are too many of us for them to write this off as user error. sooner or later it's going to hit the fan.

Butch

Sorry to hear you guys are having the same problem. In this case misery would prefer no company.

But how do we replace these cameras? I have a brand new D2X sitting here, with less than 200 shots on its clock. Anyone want to buy it? There is no way I could sell this camera in good conscience.

I've taken losses before and they are just a part of life. But $5K for a camera is a little extra bitter.

What you guys are getting is a concern. I tell you I have not asked for any replacements, yet I have received two of them. My approach to them has been simple, and I have not jumped up and down to proof that the camera is the problem. So why are they sending me replacements? And will they send me another? I wonder if they notice my email address. Who I work for. Hm.

Grant M said:
Now I'm worried. My 2X is still in the shop from 7/11. I checked the service page and it's listed as a "moderate repair: malor parts replaced". If it's returned with the same focus problem then I'll replace it with a 1X. Should have learned my lesson after the 2H purchase, it wasn't ready for market either.

Selling my 2X wouldn't bother my consience any more than it bothers Nikon's.
Almost any shot can be recovered with software as long as the camera focuses. For $5K good focus should be a given. Before sending to tech, I checked my shots in capture for focus point. Every shot was focused on a high contrast target @ 1/300 and faster. So user error isn't the problem. These shots can't be cured with USM, they are just plain OOF. So OOf that I can't make out who the runners are and they are mostly friends of mine. BTW I don't buy the small pixel camera shake stuff. Nor do I buy the "my technique must be faulty" theory. I had no problem getting sharp images with the D1, D1H, D1X and the D2H as well as my Cannon S400 or my F100 and Nikormat.

Trying to stay calm.........................

Grant,

>> "my technique must be faulty" theory <<

I am with you on this one. With mine the first 500+ shots were predominantly out of focus; no matter how I tried, solid tripod, cable release, mirror lockup, high speed shutter or stopped down lens, etc. nothing seemed to help. I sent it to Nikon and they adjusted the autofocus mechanism, the camera now focuses pretty well, but it seems that they threw something else out because now most of the shots are soft and colorless. I have played around with WB, color mode, etc. etc. and nothing seems to help.

The fact that the autofocus now works pretty well dispels the myth that camera shake is creating the problems. Once in a while mine "locks" on one area of the subject, but an area in another plane is actually in focus while the locked-on area is soft.

Right now I have my dealer talking with the regional sales rep about replacing the camera; I tried to speak with the service manager at the Torrance location and he is too busy to speak with customers having problems. I don't want to keep bringing the camera back to Nikon for them to experiment with it. I have spent way too many hours testing this $5k camera, with my D2H and D100 I get excellent results, I should be able to handle the D2X in the same manner and get the same or better results, the Nikon technicians agree with this.

Someone else mentioned Nikonians, in my experience that is a hostile place if you are having problem and express dissatisfaction with Nikon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom